The Statue of the Republic located in Jackson Park in Chicago, Illinois is the second of its kind. The original statue was built in 1893 by sculptor Daniel Chester French and was originally 56 feet tall and was destroyed in 1896. The smaller scale version that currently stands is 24ft, was also sculpted by French. It stands on a Stony Creek granite pedestal provided by George Dodds Granite company.
That statue was built in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1893. It was held to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus’ arrival to “The New World.” It also aligned with the centennial of state of Illinois.
In the statue’s right hand is a globe, an eagle with wings spread perches upon it. The other hand grasps a staff with a plaque that reads “LIBERTY” and is encircled by a laurel wreath. The original at the Exposition had a Phrygian cap on top of the staff and the original was only partly gilded.
The newer version is completely gilded. Henry Bacon, the architect of the Lincoln Memorial, designed the garland on the pedestal for the replica statue.
This statue is just another example of the trust that was placed in the Dodds granite company and the quality granite they produced. Today, Dodds Memorials continues to be trusted by civic organizations. Contact us to create a lasting memorial dedicated to those who serve and make a difference in their communities.